Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

 



One of the most challenging parts of the short film convention was the length. In my first pitch the story was so complex that it would about 15 minutes while my main task has to last no more than 5 minutes. In addition, the short films which inspired me like Eric Kissack’s ‘’The Gunfighter’’ (2014) and Charles Williams’ ‘’All These Creatures’’ (2018) lasted around 10 minutes. But what was on my side is that another key convention of short films is that their story can be simple. So I made my pitch less complex so it could last around 5 minutes. Talking about sound, the only non-diegetic sound in the film is the music which sets the mood for the film. A big influence on my music choice for the film was The Beach Boys studio album ‘’Pet Sounds’’ (1966) which is a concept album with songs linked to each other. This album largely focuses on such themes as love and relationship and it was one of the main reasons why I decided to dedicate my short film to relationship between two young people. The rest sound of the film is diegetic and it includes both characters having conversation and side noises which can be heard to protagonists like falling bottle of water or wind sound. At the same time the film is impacted by the Levi-Strauss’ Binary Opposites Theories and it’s not just gender (male and female) but also their characteristics which define both protagonists differently.

My target audience is considered to be someone between teenagers and young adults (around 15-25) because the protagonists of my short film are from this category and the plot is focused on the relationship between two young people which again is very close to those who’d like to watch it. In addition, my target audience is the one which likes watching niche and independent films which are mostly shown on the festivals. My film is called ‘’First Date’’ and includes 4 scenes. The first one has two young strangers who fall into each other and organize a date, in the second they meet in a café as a date and everyone feels worried, in the third scene the pair exchanges their positive emotions from the date and also phone numbers. And in the last scene, male protagonist comes back to his room and says in his mind that this was one of the best days in his lifetime. All these four scenes described above can be very relatable to those who I consider my target audience. In addition, the film is inspired by the studio album ‘’Pet Sounds’’ (1966) by an American band ‘’The Beach Boys’’ and the record raises many topics including love and relationship between young people. In addition, my postcard for film perfectly represents the mood of my project and also can be relatable to my target audience. Because that type of audience often uses social media, I created my own Instagram page with additional film information.




My short film is about the relationship between two strangers of young age who have never met before. There is a stereotypical moment when it’s a man who invites a girl for the date. But I did this because in my opinion that’s what could have happened in real life. In addition, the male character is portrayed as a creative, interested but at some moments shy and worried person while female character is felt to be much more confident and easy-going. So the film represents the Levi-Strauss theory of binary opposites which applies towards two protagonists’ characteristics. In many ways my film conforms to the hegemonic stereotypes of gender in its representation of male and female in a romantic relationship, for example the boy asks out the girl and takes the initiative in the relationship. Another key representation is of young people who are constructed as relaxed, funny and mature, because the key target audience are young people and this would offer them the use and gratification of personal identity. I tried not to portray the characters in the stereotypical way but I suspect that it wasn’t fully successful considering that my short film follows the similar conventions as the other melodrama films. But I did this because in my opinion this is what could have happened if it was in real life.


My short film has the title appeared in the opening sequence of the film which is linked to my Instagram page in which I promoted my final task film. Both my postcard and film have the title with the same type of font which links them together and makes them as one big promotion. I chose this traditional type of font in order to connote the traditional values common in melodrama or romantic movies, but the further down you look into the postcard the more unusual the fonts become which shows that the author combines both the traditional romance topics with the artistic vision. In addition, my postcard includes the animated photograph of the pair sitting which is a screenshot from the short film’s café scene. I did this also in order to promote the sense of branding. My Instagram page has two posts about the two different actors, Emma Bittmann and Arsen Harumov who play two protagonists from my short film promoting it. Another my social media post is about the BFI which distributes my short film. So in the beginning the first thing which the audience sees is the credits to British Film Institute. For my postcard, the line about who directed the film, is written in a signature font so in shows that my short film ‘’First Date’’ uses the film d’auteur formula so it’s the independent film for a niche audience and that type of movies is often shown on festivals.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Question 2

How does my product engage with my audience? Well firstly it’s important to find out what my audience is. They are people who are very likely to enjoy the thriller genre films and their age somewhere between the teen age and early 30’s, possibly middle class people because they can understand the pain which main character feels. The main character is fully in debt and the stranger who he meets in a café gives him an offer to murder someone so he’ll be paid enough money to return the debt. Many people who will watch this will ask very deep questions like ‘’What would I do on his place if I had debts too?’’. And also there are thriller fans of the same age as above described people. These are the category which use the film watching to feel the tension, the people found out the Fincher-style thrillers which give the cliffhangers and the viewers wonder what will happen next. These people don’t watch these films because they reflect their personal life problems but are made in the genre th

How to Make a Good Villain

Villains are important characters in plot because they drive the conflict and they capture the viewer's attention. A villain is the opposite of a hero. A villain is the antagonist of your story whose motivations and actions oppose the protagonist  and drive the plot of your story. A villain is the opposite of a hero. In contrast to the hero, a villain is usually compelled by a desire to commit acts of cruelty and immorality. Every great hero needs a great villain. Villains are the antagonistic force  of your story that challenges your hero and drives the action. Most great villains share a common set of characteristics: 1)  Strong connection to the hero . The best villains are inextricably connected to the hero, and aid in the hero’s character development  through their inherent opposition to them. For example, in the  Harry Potter  series, Lord Voldemort murdered Harry Potter’s parents when he was a child, leaving behind a magical scar on Harry’s forehead intrinsically connects th

Cinemascope

  Cinemascope is an anamorphic process that compresses an image during filming and uncompresses it when projected. The process involves squeezing a wide image onto 35mm film so that it fits the physical celluloid's square frame. With the help of anamorphic projection lenses, this image is then unsqueezed, allowing for the full width of the image to be displayed. In the early days of cinema, French inventor Henri Chretien created and patented an anamorphic lens that could be used for motion pictures. However, back in the 1920's and 1930's, no one was really interested. That all changed in early 1950's, when motive studios were losing their audience to the rise of television. It was convenient, could be enjoyed at home and provided the same entertainment value as movies. However, in 1952, ''This Is Cinerama'', which displayed a widescreen image with three cameras and three projectors was becoming a smash hit across the country, albeit in limited theatres.